Friday, January 13, 2012

My Mind Map

My Mind Map 

I made this mind map a few weeks ago and I'm pretty excited about it. (I made the map using a program called MindNode [link]). It describes all the areas of the work I do as an artist (or want to do). Making a map like this was suggested in "The Profitable Artist."

I divided my work into four main components that are important to me:
Original Content Creation - Writing stories and telling those stories through art. This also includes creating educational material.

Free Play - Learning about the world, practicing, experimenting. Discovering inspiration to fuel the creation of original content. 
Marketing and Networking - Dissemination and promotion of my work to the public. Connecting with fans. Connecting with artist communities. 
Fundraising - Raising funds necessary to continue the other three components. 

Because all of these nodes are important, I try to make sure I'm working on all of them every month. I also made a year calendar with monthly important tasks. I'm just dogging it up with the organization!! >_<

What do you think? I would be very interested to your mind map!

3 comments:

  1. Heather,
    I just wanted to say that your art is wonderful and your online presence is immensely inspiring.
    I think such a mind map must be very helpful, but following it seems to be quite a challenge due to its complexity. But I'm sure you'll perform brillianly, as you usually do.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the very kind words, amphigyeis. Your message brightens my day. Thank you for looking at work! :D

      The mind map is complex. The end nodes on the right may change over the years, but the core nodes on the left (content creation, free play etc) those are the ones that I wanted to really get on paper.

      The mind map may look complex, but what I had in my head before that was an even bigger, more wild mess! I wrote that down and cut things that really weren't that important to me. Let them go. So I could focus on these things that are important to me.

      Anyway, thanks for writing!

      Delete
  2. In which of those main components do you like doing your work? I mean, all of those look complicated but fun! I must agree that there's free play on general stuff, but when it comes to serious matters such as Networking and Marketing, more specific tasks are done. Good luck on your career!

    Alexandra Gale

    ReplyDelete